Cold season not only meant that sweaters, jackets and blankets are out, that also meant health issues, such as cough, as viruses/germs spread more. Cough, as we all know, is our bodies’ way of saying you got something in your throat. It may be because of mucus or foreign irritants and by coughing, our throat gets cleared. Although this is not a voluntary action and gets somewhat irritating or becoming a health risk if not treated immediately.
And aside from taking over-the-counter meds for prevention or cure, there are natural ways too and they’re so easy and fun to do. Here’s list of remedies for cough, the natural way:
- Something that we have to thank the bees for. It’s a natural cough suppressant that is known to better than our local (chemical medicines) for its healing effect.
- All is you need to prepare are:
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- A cup of warm water
- You can also replace water with tea if more preferred and the lemon can be replaced by other fruits such as oranges, berries or guava. Slices of ginger is suggested too for soothing effect.
- This mixture is best enjoyed with bread as a snack.
- Slices of this fruit should be enjoyed till fulfillment. The fruit contains an enzyme called Bromelain which aids in suppressing cough and loosen the mucus inside our throats. One can also consume 3.5 ounces of fresh pineapple juice three times a day if eating the fruit is not your thing.
- Unlike the fruit, Bromelain as a drug (supplement) should not be consumed without the advice of a doctor as there are effects/reactions to other drugs such as antibiotics.
- Hot Milk
- This is best to drink for dry cough as hot milk helps produce mucus to lubricate the respiratory system. Adding honey soothes the throat and gets rid of bacteria.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to a glass of warm milk and we’re set.
- Also best for dry cough, raisins contain natural sugars that has soothing properties.
- Prepare the following:
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- In a blender, mix these ingredients until it becomes a paste. Afterwards, heat to make it sauce like before letting it cool. Consume 2 tablespoons every night before bed.
- Sea Salt
- Create a gargle mix that helps relieve throat irritation and has soothing properties. In a cup of warm water, just add 1 tablespoon of sea salt and use this solution as gargle for 2-3 minutes. Remember that this shouldn’t be swallowed and not to be used to children under the age of 6.
- Peppermint leaves contain menthol which is known decongestant and has soothing properties as well. Not only does peppermint decongest, the leaves also cures respiratory problems, headaches, stomach spasms and serves as a pain relief. Peppermint can be consumed as a (warm) tea drink or used as a steam inhalation.
- Boil water and add 3-4 drops of it’s essential oil in a large bowl. Cover your head with a large towel and inhale the steam. This can be done several times a day.
If any of these natural home remedies still are not enough to control your cough, it’s best to consult a doctor.